Rock premises now
Name | Rock Inn |
Address | 2-8 Albert Road, Morley LS27 8JU |
Built | ? |
Closed | Yes approx 2011 |
Demolished | No |
Notes | The Rock Inn was so called because of the steep face behind it, between Station Road, Albert road and Troy road, above which was Morley's first quarry. The spot where the car park was was the site of the Pinder's cottage. A pinder was the name given to a person whose job was to impound stray animals. Morley Corporation Minutes November 1898 - November 1899, Highways Streets and Sewage Committe Jan 23 1899 (Page 89) stated that a letter was read from Mr W.G. Vickers of Normanton asking permission to rent the land at the Rock Inn for a theatre. Resolved that Mr Vickers be informed that that the Council have decided that the land shall not be let for theatrical purposes. No directory information before 1936 when Mrs Ada Conyers was the landlady. Not known if she was related to Mrs Louise Conyers. Licensee 1905 – John Arthur Sykes. Brewery owner 1970 Tetley’s. Pub closed in approximately 2011 and converted back to five terrace houses. |
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment